History in Providing Independent Engineering Services

Focusing on the Future
Never Forgetting Our Past

While the Calspan story has evolved over more than 70 years, our commitment to excellence remains unchanged, as we maintain a values-driven culture and the highest ethical standards. We are dedicated to providing innovative independent engineering design, testing, and research services to customers in the automotive and aerospace industries.

1940

Announcement Image

Early Beginnings: Roots of company are formed as executives of the Curtiss-Wright Aircraft Corporation discuss a first-of-its-kind aircraft research facility.

1942

Announcement Image

Wind Tunnel Construction: Curtiss-Wright finances construction of one of the nation’s largest subsonic wind tunnels in Buffalo, N.Y. First concrete for building poured on June 22, 1942.

1943

Announcement Image

Research Facility Dedicated: Research Laboratory of the Curtiss-Wright Airplane Division at Buffalo is dedicated. Dr. Clifford C. Furnas is appointed its first Director.

1945

Announcement Image

Cornell University Acquires the Lab: Curtiss-Wright bequeaths the Laboratory to Cornell University and provides a cash gift to complete the unfinished wind tunnel.

1946

Announcement Image

C.A.L. is Formed: Employees of Curtiss-Wright Research Laboratory become employees of Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory (CAL).

1947

Announcement Image

Wind Tunnel Becomes Operational: The 12-foot variable density subsonic wind tunnel goes operational. It is capable of producing air velocity of about 740 miles per hour.

1968

Announcement Image

Establishes VERF: Establishes Vehicle Experimental Research Facility (VERF) to evaluate vehicle crashworthiness and handling characteristics.

1970

Announcement Image

New Test Facilities: Designs and builds the world’s largest flat track advanced tire testing facility (TIRF). First flight of the Total In-flight Simulator (TIFS) aircraft after installation of simulation system and cockpit nose.

1972

Announcement Image

C.A.L. Becomes Calspan: Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory changes its name to Calspan Corporation, a for-profit operation on November 17, 1972.

1978

Announcement Image

Arvin Industries acquires Calspan which becomes the Arvin/Calspan Advanced Technology Center.

1987

Announcement Image

Calspan-SRL: System Research Laboratory (of Dayton, Ohio) is acquired and the company becomes Calspan-SLR.

1997

Announcement Image

Calspan-SRL Merges with Veda International, Inc. of Alexandria, Va. and a year later becomes Veridian Corporation.

2003

Announcement Image

Veridian is acquired by General Dynamics.

2005

Announcement Image

Calspan Again! Calspan Corporation is reestablished after the Aerospace and Transportation testing businesses are divested from General Dynamics.

2005

Announcement Image

Flight Research Facility: A new hangar and flight research facility is opened at the Niagara Falls airport.

2010

Announcement Image

Calspan acquires KHRI LC, to consolidate Crash Research activities for the Eastern Region of the National Automotive Sampling System – a government research project through NHTSA.