Our History in Providing Independent Engineering Services - 1940s
Early Beginnings: Roots of company are formed as executives of the Curtiss-Wright Aircraft Corporation discuss a first-of-its-kind aircraft research facility.
Wind Tunnel Construction: Curtiss-Wright finances construction of one of the nation’s largest subsonic wind tunnels in Buffalo, N.Y. First concrete for building poured on June 22, 1942.
Research Facility Dedicated: Research Laboratory of the Curtiss-Wright Airplane Division at Buffalo is dedicated. Dr. Clifford C. Furnas is appointed its first Director.
Cornell University Acquires the Lab: Curtiss-Wright bequeaths the Laboratory to Cornell University and provides a cash gift to complete the unfinished wind tunnel.
C.A.L. is Formed
C.A.L. is Formed: Employees of Curtiss-Wright Research Laboratory become employees of Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory (CAL).
Wind Tunnel Operational
Wind Tunnel Becomes Operational: The 12-foot variable density subsonic wind tunnel goes operational. It is capable of producing air velocity of about 740 miles per hour.
C.A.L. designs and tests the Navy F4U-5 Corsair fighter, one of the first variable stability aircraft for researching handling qualities of aircraft.
C.A.L. develops “Thin Man” test dummy, precursor to the modern day crash test dummy.