Wind Tunnel Models
Calspan has been providing design, fabrication and instrumentation of wind tunnel models and equipment for the Aerospace industry for more than 40 years. The original modeling company was founded in 1972 as Dynamic Engineering for the sole purpose of providing wind tunnel models to NASA’s Langley Research Center and has since delivered thousands of models to all of the major OEM’s and research facilities around the world. Our facility in Newport News, Virginia has been designed to support one-off test articles and prototypes with a quick-turn design and manufacturing focus. Calspan’s instrumentation design and application techniques ensure that accurate data will be captured and delivered during the test cycle.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Design and fabrication of all types of wind tunnel models and equipment
- Expertise in fixed wing, rotorcraft, space and missile models
- Model weight and balance is optimized through the use of both metal and composite components
- The use of additive manufacturing processes for both metal and plastic components will lower costs and reduce model lead times
- Complete fabrication is performed in our 93,000 sq.ft. facility including machining, assembly, instrumentation, inspection and model buy-off
- Design and fabrication services are available for wind tunnel related equipment including: model positioning systems, fan and compressor blades, and tunnel upgrade and overhaul services.
- Wind tunnel testing can be performed at Calspan’s Transonic Wind Tunnel in Buffalo, New York