Calspan’s Crash Testing Capabilities are Expansive
Calspan's crash lab features two fully enclosed crash halls outfitted with MESSRING technology, secure test vehicle preparation bays, and an ATD calibration lab. The 58,000 square foot (5388.4m2) facility is located at Calspan’s headquarters in Buffalo, NY. The lab was designed based on customer feedback and features safety, security, and efficiency not available anywhere else in North America, which is one of the reason's it was named Crash Test Facility of the year two years in a row.
Take a virtual tour of our award-winning vehicle crash test lab:
Calspan was recognized by Automotive Testing International as the 2018 & 2019 Crash Facility of the Year.
- Two Crash Halls
- Frontal Barrier Crash Hall: 75 ft. x 90 ft. (22.86 m x 27.43 m)
- Side Impact/High Energy Crash Hall: 160 ft. x 90 ft. (48.77 m x 27.43 m)
- Two Expansive Test Vehicle Preparation Bays for Supporting Vehicle Programs
- Instrumentation Calibration & Anthropomorphic Test Device (ATD) Qualification Lab.
- Private, Customer Rooms Integral with Vehicle Preparation Bays for Easy Access to Test Vehicles
- Integral and Secure Shipping and Receiving Dock for Loading / Unloading Vehicles within the Facility.
- Ample Storage Space for Test Cars, Components and Associated Equipment
SECURE: This facility ideal for new vehicle development; from the time a vehicle is received at one of our secure drop off points to the time data is presented, your vehicle is always secured behind closed doors.
ACCURATE & PRECISE: Our crash halls are outfitted with MESSRING technology, the combination of their propulsion system and MicroTrack allows for accurate and precise testing.
EFFICIENT: All facilities, people, and resources required for testing are located under one roof, allowing for new levels of efficiency and effectivity. With co-located facilities and assets, Calspan has an increased ability to meet even the tightest test deadlines.
Two crash halls, each with their own private preparation bay, allows for two tests to be securely prepared and executed almost simultaneously. Our fully enclosed crash halls allow for testing to run throughout the year, regardless of weather conditions. The need to factor in additional time to testing plans is eliminated, resulting in improved reliability.
- Vehicle into Vehicle
- Vehicle into Barrier
- Moving Deformable Barrier (MDB) into Vehicle
- Vehicle into Pole
For Class 1, 2, 3 (GVWR up to 15,000 lbs. (7,000 kg)), Speeds up to 120 km/h (75 mph)
As a result of the capabilities and expertise at Calspan, Calspan has been awarded 5 year contracts by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to execute for the NHTSA FMVSS No. 214, Side Impact Protection Compliance Testing, FMVSS No. 301 Fuel System Integrity, and FMVSS No. 305 Electric-Powered Vehicles: Electrolyte Spillage and Electrical Shock Protection vehicle crash tests. Calspan also holds the NHTSA contracts for executing New Car Assessment Program crash tests.