Vehicle Barrier Certification Tests
BARRIER CERTIFICATION TESTING
Crash Testing Barrier Systems that Protect Our Pedestrians, Buildings, Assets, Perimeters, and Borders
Calspan has the capability, experience, and facility to test your Barrier System to any specific test standard across the world. We hold ISO 17025 accreditations for each of the test standards below. Click on which test standard below applies to you for more detailed information.
Crash Test Standards for Protecting Perimeter Security & Hostile Vehicle Mitigation:
Crash Test Standards for Protecting Pedestrians and Storefront Safety:
DETERMINING WHAT TEST STANDARD APPLIES TO YOUR BARRIER SYSTEM
- Application - typically a barrier system is trying to achieve one of two things, either protecting from a deliberate attack on a perimeter security also known as mitigating a hostile vehicle (usually occurring at higher speeds) or protecting from an accidental crash into storefront and pedestrian areas (usually occurring at lower speeds).
- Location - depending on where your system is being installed and operated will determine which test standard applies. For example, in the United States for perimeter security protection, ASTM F2656 is the most common.
- Project Specification - along with location, the project itself may have it’s own specification that your barrier system must meet. For example, depending on the project, not only does your system have to comply with a specific test standard (i.e. ASTM F2656) but also must meet specific penetration ratings.
WHAT BARRIER SYSTEMS ARE TESTED
Throughout Calspan’s decades of experience in testing barrier systems, we have seen and tested the most common and simple systems to the more complex and innovative systems. There is no system we cannot handle. Here are a few examples of systems that would be tested to such standards:
- Bollards (Vertical Posts)
- Road Blocker Plates (Wedge Systems)
- Gate Systems (Swing Arms)
- Cable Systems
- Net Systems
- Fencing Systems
- Landscape Systems (Planters, Boulders, Walls)
- Portable Barrier Systems
- Berms / Ditches / Other Earth & Soil Designs
Whether it’s a system to protect a perimeter or a storefront, there are always human lives involved that are depending on the proper performance of these systems for their safety and security.
Physically testing these systems to the proper standard is a critical important step that must not be overlooked to prove out the design and engineering of the system’s performance in the field.
- Customer Focused - At Calspan, we understand the stress manufacturers are under when a product is being tested. That is why we take the extra time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and work in a collaborative manner to get tests executed properly and on time.
- Turn Key Solution - Calspan has all the equipment, personnel and resources to take care of all the different steps involved in testing, from installation, test execution and custom test reports.
- Accredited Facility - Calspan is accredited to ISO 17025 to perform all the various test standards for such barrier systems
- High Precision, Accuracy, and Test Data - We use the same high-quality test equipment that is common for full-vehicle crash testing in the automotive industry through NHTSA/DOT & Vehicle OEMs
WHERE DO WE TEST?
Calspan’s Barrier Testing Facility is located in Buffalo, NY. We’re right across from the Buffalo Airport (BUF) on Genesee Street. Our location makes it extremely easy and convenient to our customers when they visit our facility to witness installation and/or the test itself.
WHO DO WE WORK WITH?
As an active member of ASTM & SIA, Calspan is constantly involved in the industry and works with many different governing bodies, associations and of course manufacturers in the private-sector. Here are some of our collaborators: