Ambulance & Cot Equipment Testing
MEMBERS OF NTEA AND AMDIn the event an ambulance is involved in a collision, standards have been put in place to ensure the safety of the paramedics, patients, and passengers from falling/sliding debris within the ambulance. Calspan conducts non-destructive crash testing using our 1MN sled for ambulance equipment, including equipment mounts, cabinet testing, passenger seats, and compartment integrity.
Getting Your Ambulance & Cot Equipment Compliant
Ambulance accessory manufacturers who sell their product in the U.S. typically register with at least one of the following governing bodies:
- General Services Administration (GSA)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- The Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services Ground Vehicle Standard (CAAS GVS)
All of these organizations have their own certified testing standards which complement SAE dynamic standards compliance for products that are used in occupant areas. In order for test results to be considered compliant, they must be performed by a third party with ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation, such as Calspan.
TEST WITH THE EXPERTS
We are qualified to run tests for the U.S. and U.K.
The Calspan team will work with you, help you determine your test needs and make them happen. Known for our positive approach and flexible schedule, the team will work with you to ensure that your tests are executed in the most effective and efficient way possible.
Calspan has the right equipment and personnel expertise to perform the following ambulance & cot tests to SAE Standards.
Sled Pusles Standards
Sled Test Procedures
- SAE J3026 Occupant Seating
- SAE J3059 Occupant Excursion
- SAE J3027 Litter/Cot Standard
- SAE J3043 Equipment Mounts
- SAE J3058 Cabinet Testing
- SAE J3102 - Floor Integrity for Litter/Cot
Many of the test procedures will require at least one frontal, one side, and one rear impact.
In the case of testing to BN EN 1789, an additional vertical test mode is required.
Depending on the product, you may also have to perform both a curbside and driver-side impact. Details of each impact are listed below:
Part of the Gloabal ConversationCalspan prides itself on being up-to-date with all industry standards, and membership to industry organizations is critical to this. Calspan is a proud member of the following professional organizations:
- National Association of State EMS Officials (NASEMSO)
- Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA)
- Ambulance Manufacturers Division (AMD)
- National Truck Equipment Association (NTEA)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies (CChIPS)